Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend Review

Title: Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend
Author: Katie Finn
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Genre: Realistic Fiction 

Blurb: (from goodreads) Hot sun. Blue waves. New romances. Old secrets.


Gemma had her summer all planned out, but it takes a sharp turn when she gets dumped and finds herself back in the Hamptons after a five-year absence.

Being there puts her at risk of bumping into Hallie, her former best friends (that is, before Gemma ruined her life). But people don't hold grudges forever. Do they?

Gemma intends on making amends, but a small case of mistaken identity causes the people she knew years ago—including Hallie and her dreamy brother, Josh—to believe she's someone else. As though the summer wasn't complicated enough already.

Filled with summer sun, boys, and friendships gone sour, Katie Finn's first novel in the Broken Hearts and Revenge series sizzles and delights.
 


Me: A light, summer read that I breezed through. 
I feel like I need to start with the downs first on this review, so here goes:

The Downs: This book was so incredibly predictable. I literally had the entire plot line figured out in my head from the end of the sixth chapter (which isn't saying much, as the chapters are very short). I don't know if it was supposed to be a complete plot twist at the end, but it wasn't very surprising...and then the cliffhanger. I felt like I'd read through the entire book to have some sort of resolution at the end that instead left me having to wait to read the next book to get some sort of decent ending. 
That being said, I felt like the entire situation was a bit ridiculous. It seemed like the entire plot just happened so that the author could create this story, and it wasn't realistic. 

The Ups: But while all this may sound bad, I surprisingly liked the book. It definitely felt like a summer/beach read, so that was nice, and stupid as it was, the drama was captivating. I also have this love/hate relationship with predictable books because part of me loves to see that what I guessed was right. Sometimes it's fun to get everything right, even though it was extremely easy. 
I think that I was in the mood for a book I could speed through and not have to think about, and this provided me with that, so although there were a lot of technical problems, I'm not too unsatisfied.

Overall: Predicable, and unrealistic, but good for a light read. 

Rating: 3 kisses!




No comments:

Post a Comment