Talkin' About...Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Martin Luther King Jr. Day 
Yay! Another free Monday is upon us. Personally I take that as a call to sleep in, read, and drink hot chocolate while also watching the occasional Youtube video.

But I got to thinking that although I will fully and absolutely indulge in my freedom, I should probably take into consideration why we have this holiday in the first place.


Martin Luther King was the leader of the civil rights movement, the face of racial equality. In reality, it is because of him that I'm even sitting here in the U.S.

Now I'm not here to give my entire personal history or MLK's. But I think that us, in the book world, need to thank Martin Luther King and other civil rights fighters for many reasons.

Books are, essentially, another way of finding out more about the world, of  acquiring more knowledge. I think that as a reader, you should read a diverse spectrum of books because it widens your mind and makes you understand other people better. There are so many diverse authors now, of all ethnicities, genders, sexualities, ages, etc. The content of books is also a huge range, and there is much freedom in what we write, and what we read. I feel like the book industry is one that is very open and accepting of differences, and I think we partially have Martin Luther King to thank for that. 

There are so many things that we take for granted, and sometimes we just have to stop and think about the ones who made this possible for us. I hope that all of us in the U.S. will take at least a moment this week to really be grateful of the struggle that others had to endure for us to be where we are today.

Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment