Reading Les Miserables

So yeah, I haven't posted in a while. My apologies...:( There's no excuse for that, I know, but if anything I wanted to post something about the current book I am reading (and have been for a week). So... welcome to the joyful life of reading Les Miserables.


You've probably all heard about this acclaimed musical, movie, and possibly book. If you haven't, you need to go watch the musical RIGHT now. (the movie wasn't too good) Also, I recommend watching the 25th anniversary concert DVD edition, because personally, that was my favorite. :)

But today's blog post isn't about the movie or the musical, although I could rant about either of them for hours. It's about how I've been reading this book, what I've already learned from the book, and what I look forward to. 

Like you can already tell, I've watched the musical and the movie both, and I think that really helps me understand the book better. For once, I am suggesting that you watch the movie/musical before you read the book, because yes, the book is better, and yes, the movie/musical leaves out so much, but it gives the general plot and feeling of the book, and knowing what that was before I started reading was really helpful. It feels like I was given the bones, and now I am putting on the meat, and I think that especially for lengthy classics like Les Mis, watching the visual versions might help understand the story better.

I am on page 504 at the current moment,. so about 40%-ish. I am surprisingly loving the book! People look at me like I'm crazy when I carry around this 1200 page wonder, but it's pretty awesome how fast-paced and enthralling this book is.  Again like I said, reading the book knowing the general plot and characters really gets me through the book better. I'll admit, some parts are absolutely ridiculously pointless and long. Like the entire 5-6 ish chapters about Napoleon and the battle of Waterloo and all the military tactics used. I almost died. 

But I'm already amazed by the connections I've made with the characters and all the life questions that this book asks. There are just so many lessons imbedded into the book. It makes me question and makes me think, but I somehow am still loving and enjoying this beautiful novel. 

Now if I can finish it by the end of this week... 


What books are you reading right now? Anything special about them? Have you read Les Miserables before? 







1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to read Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock, which I've been wanting to read for a loooong while, but especially now with my friend Mrs. Martin's ecstatic recommendation. I also hope to re-read one of my favorite classics over break, Middlemarch.

    ReplyDelete