Unbreakable Review

Title: Unbreakable
Author: Kami Garcia
Publisher: Little, Brown
Genre: Paranormal

Blurb: (from goodreads)I never believed in ghosts. Until one tried to kill me.

When Kennedy Waters finds her mother dead, her world begins to unravel. She doesn’t know that paranormal forces in a much darker world are the ones pulling the strings. Not until identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into Kennedy’s room and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her. The brothers reveal that her mother was part of an ancient secret society responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon — a society whose five members were all murdered on the same night.

Now Kennedy has to take her mother’s place in the Legion if she wants to uncover the truth and stay alive. Along with new Legion members Priest and Alara, the teens race to find the only weapon that might be able to destroy the demon — battling the deadly spirits he controls every step of the way.

Suspense, romance, and the paranormal meet in this chilling urban fantasy, the first book in a new series from Kami Garcia, bestselling coauthor of the Beautiful Creatures novels.


Me: A brand-spanking-new series by the co-author of the beloved Beautiful Creatures series? Seems worth an attempt! 

The Ups: I really enjoyed how Kami Garcia elaborated on how they'd defend themselves against the demons, the history of the Legion, etc. Rock salt guns, cold iron, the calculator/metal detector...awesome. I think that really contributed to make the story believable and almost imaginable. 
I have to give Kami Garcia credit. her writing is simple yet amazingly descriptive. The book was like an action movie. I could picture every scene and all of the characters, which isn't something I can often do. (the part at the Hearts of Mercy? Imagery was to die for.)
The other members of the Legion were so lovable-my personal favorite was Priest. Not that their demeanor is in anyway cute and lovable. All of them are tough and badass, but all of them have a sweet side, because yeah, they might be demon hunters, but at the end of the day, they're jsut teenagers.

The Downs: Unfortunately, this book let me down quite a bit on plot and depth and such. I read an excerpt in Dangerous Creatures(review here) and I thought it looked very good but I have very high expectations for those two authors. Not a bad read, but it just wasn't very hooking. I feel like it wasn't a complete waste of time, but just not phenomenal. 
I think Kennedy as the main character just lacked a lot. She was very self-doubting, a bit indecisive, not relatable at all, and a little bit of an annoying brat. One of those characters where you're like, "Why does everyone love her??" There was so relation between me and her, nothing I could sympathize about, and since the main character is such a main part of any novel, I think that's what really pushed this book down. 

Overall: Not bad, but could've used more from this recognized author. 

Rating: 2 kisses!


No comments:

Post a Comment