Legend Review

Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: 
Genre: Sci-fi, Dystopian 

Blurb: (from goodreads) What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


Me: My 2nd time reading this book, and there's a bit of controversy in my brain. 

The Ups: Who doesn't love a bad government who's secretly planning against the people, an uprising, and a gorgeous street boy? I loved the government trying to win the war and being so desperate they're willing to use their own citizens as lab rats. The plague,the cures, the Trials, I really liked this world that Marie Lu created. 
I think she did a fantastic job of giving Day and June their unique voices because since their voices change chapter by chapter, sometimes it's easy to get confused. But I think both of the characters had very distinct voices that made each of their stories stand out. 
This book was literally like an action movie. And I devoured every second of it. The suspense and the romance and everything, never was I bored in this book.  
I just really loved both characters so much. Their intelligence and their personal ties with their families was admirable and relatable. Day, well I definitely have a crush on this fictional character. June, I kind of wish I was more like her. Both of them are wonderful, which I think made me as a reader sympathize for them and really feel the action. 

The Downs: Not many action movies linger in our minds. I think the real powerful books are the ones I can most relate to and feel for and when I'm done, feel like a ball of 1,000 emotions. Action books don't usually give that to me. Since I read about 4 books a week, this book is quick to disappear from my mind, and I think I might have forgotten it by the time I get to Prodigy. Understandable, it being an action novel, but not preferable. 

Overall: Such a great read to skim through and enjoy, but not a lasting memory.

Rating: 3 kisses!  










No comments:

Post a Comment